Thursday, April 28, 2005

Relegated to the Attic

Well, it's happened, and probably, some will say, it was inevitable. I've put away my archives for now, due to some...shall we say, 'lack of security' issues. As always, it's really no one's fault but my own. As you all know, you've all been tracked - I have a site counter attached to this blog, and it tells me whenever you log on, what search terms you used to find this place, what your operating system and browser are, your IP address, and your time zone. For the most part, I don't care how many times you come to read, and I love that anyone does. Part of my inspiration to write these entries is from my friends who do come here, and it would certainly be harder to motivate myself to write if you wonderful souls never visited.

Mostly, I used the counter, just in case someone I didn't want to find this blog, ended up coming here. One visitor found my blog by typing into the Yahoo! search engine the name of a former advisor of mine, and his research area of interest. Well, of the top 5 links, three point to his biographical sketch on his department's official website, and two of them to my blog, in which I pretty much let fly what I think of my former "mentor." In some ways, this is quite comical, but in other ways, this could be quite scary. I traced the IP addresses using ARIN and found that the persons reading my site are actually affiliated with the institution which my former "mentor" ditched us for.

Now several people have found this blog in the past several days using the exact same search terms, so I'm hoping for the best - that being several graduate students and post-docs who know this person are getting a decent chuckle out of the post. In the worst-case scenario, several of his colleagues have found it and passed it on to him. I don't feel I've done anything wrong except to tell the truth about this person, but you never know, and, with him, I think it's best to adopt a CYA policy.

So, I contacted a lawyer, and discussed with him any possible legal problems I might be facing as a result. To sum up this half-hour conversation, I think I'll be able to avoid any fines and/or jail, but I should take a number of steps, including shutting down the archives for a while. Regrettably, you can still find these archived posts using the Yahoo! search engine, but there's nothing else to be done in that regard.

And if you're a student/tech/post-doc down in Crab Cake Country, and you work for this person, God Bless. Or perhaps I'm 100% wrong and he's done a 180° turnaround and evolved into God's Gift to Graduate Students. Leave me a note to say 'hi.' If you're faculty, then never mind because your soul is probably bound for the same place as his.

And that's about it. Lawyers are expensive. Luckily I know one that takes a couple pints of beer as payment.

Later! (Back to writing...)

Edit: Archives back online. I don't think my former "mentor" has been here, and even if he has, I've got nothing to hide.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

""" Regrettably, you can still find these archived posts using the Yahoo! search engine, but there's nothing else to be done in that regard. """

Most search engines will allow to you indicate that you 1) would not like your site to be indexed at all (you can do this easily with robots.txt) and 2) you would like cached versions of your site removed from their caches and removed from their indexes.

You should be able to find a contact link on Yahoo! to get in touch with them.

11:17 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

veddy sceddy (very scary) - wow! how much fun you've been having whilst I was away in Birthday Land! My dog is very preggy now, she's always tired and always hungry...which is a good sign that the end is near. Any bets on how many puppies she'll be having? I'm thinkin 8! I hope it's not eight...but she's pretty dern big.

anywhoozit!
where do they grow lawyers who take beer as payment? I need to go pick one for general legal questions! (just kidding)

ciao
kat

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Thanks. I found a piece of html code that tells the search engines not to cache my pages. Should take effect in a couple weeks or so...

4:25 PM  
Blogger An Adversary said...

Kat, you mean general lager questions, don't you?

5:05 PM  
Blogger thekatster said...

Kinjo,

I laughed! I'm muddy since I've been enjoying some chardonay - an loss of it jess. (and lots of it, yes?). ci senor.

ciao bellas
zzzz...
kat
;)

2:37 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

ok wait - haha - ! - that could totally be misconstrued. holy shit. I'm so gonne get taunted for that one - damn can't live anything down lol. I meant to say...that I am more chuckling than really laughing but it was funny I'm just buzzin...really...that's all and I was jsut tryin to be poetic-like. and so, sometimes? when I try to hard? It just doesn't work as if I had just not tried so much.

did I mention zzzzzzzz......

2:39 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Ladies and gents,

We have our first ever DRUNK comment posted, by none other than our beloved Katster!

Congratulations, kat!!!

Your prize is in the mail - a bottle of aspirin with a membership to your local AA ;)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

*golf claps for kat.

Mikey. Hope all goes well. I apologize for having nothing amusing to say today. I think my sense of humor is malfunctioning.

10:34 PM  
Blogger thekatster said...

only golf claps? ow. sadness, burned my the efemerally funny dave - but only yesterday - usually you are funny. I didn't need aspirin, though. but on friday evening - a friend of mine, here, and I got thoroughly shitfaced - so much so we both were sick - I guess you don't drink a bottle of shiraz and THEN a bottle or merlot - at least we won't be doing that NEXT time for dern sure.

love ya
dave - sending some happy thoughts your way today - and really golf claps were much more sensitive than booing all together, thank you for that lol.

smooches everyone!
ciao
kat

11:14 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Dave obviously has high standards for his sense of humor. Fortunately, I don't, as I'd be ecstatic if I the words 'golf' and 'claps' ever entered my mind at the same time.

Two bottles of wine between two people, kat? And here I thought you'd be a cheap date :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger thekatster said...

well I'll totally be using 'golf claps' from now on because it made me laugh - but not all the time it's got the 'perfect time then dies' thing going for it - yeh ok so full stop on this string because it's just reeeeeeely boring lol.

ciao,
have a great day
kat

10:41 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

I don't know when I started to stutter - nervous tick I suppose.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

I totally meant golf claps in the nicest and most completely sensitve and fun loving way possible. In fact, "Golf Claps for Kat" is so the name of my next band. Thanks for the happy thoughts.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players