Sunday, April 10, 2005

Tired eyes

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running.
-Anonymous
*******


I'm tired. I've been looking at the same data for days now, and yet, I don't deserve a break because I'm far from finished. I also need a haircut, as you can see with my bangs trying to mask my eyesight - but perhaps I'll go with the shaggy look until I'm satisfied with my progress.

It's kind of ironic, now that I think about where I am: I've wanted to be sitting in front of my computer, just worrying about writing, and here I am. But it's also distracted me from other chores I should be doing, like laundry, or paying taxes, or filling in my choices for clerkship sites. The last day for requesting clerkship sites is today, and thank goodness John called to make sure I'd done that. I need to appreciate that for a while - what a great friend for calling on a weekend to make sure I met the deadline, or else I'd be stuck in the worst locations possible for each rotation. Honestly, most places are okay, I just tried to avoid the ones my friends tagged as 'AVOID AT ALL COSTS.'

Better get back to work.

*******

What I'm listening to now: Somethin' Else, Cannonball Adderley

Some great swing jazz from a legendary jazz saxophonist, includes Miles Davis on trumpet. Good stuff to work to, as it can fade into the background, but one can hear the brilliance of the musicians should you focus on listening.

7 Comments:

Blogger thekatster said...

I love Cannonball Adderly!!! He is the genius behind Jazz-Fusion! he totally created it, funk is a derision of such brilliant work. awesome! he'll help you through tough research..make you shake your ass a little, wake ya up with some a that! hey you should so blare that for yer neighbor...he wouldn't understand it - therefor it would bother him. but seriously, you need to call someone about that. That is absolutely rediculous behavior, pick up the phone and press the nine, then the one, then the one again. Someone will pickup on the other end of the line and ask you a few simple questions, just respond honestly to all of them, and say 'yes, I want to press charges' lol. Just playin. but, man you are the only who can look out for you right now (but then again I'm not in the same situation and would have a difficult time calling the cops too). Who cares if he hates you?

lol.

best of luck today
kat

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Interesting - I didn't hear the jazz fusion thing the first couple listens. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention - that's a good enough excuse to play it again! :)

3:15 PM  
Blogger thekatster said...

hey that's what my advisor told me when I was his undergraduate - a doctorate in jazz piano. So, I believed him. I definately could be wrong. You seem to have the music niche down more than I do, and I actually went to school for the BM - take it how you want lol - but it does stand for something like a bachelors in music (not to be confused with a BA in music - scoffed upon by many within music's more educated circles as the 'lesser than' general studies equivalent). I could totally offend some readers with that. oh well. it's true.

lol
hope work is going

kat

2:33 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

It could very well be that Somethin' Else doesn't fit under that fusion category. This album he includes Miles Davis on trumpet, and I have a hard time imagining Miles Davis doing the jazz fusion thang. I'll check out some of Cannonball's other albums - perhaps I'll hear it there.

You studied music? Cool! I got my minor in music!

2:50 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

check out his Phenix album - spelled, p h e n i x. It's pretty funky. throw your back out kinda stuff. That's awesome that you have a minor in music - from the looks of it though you must've really enjoyed it or are extremely smart or, unlike moi, you don't have LD or ADD lol. it took me six years to get through music school. But it was personal stuff, not that it was difficult. high school was much harder than college for me. But these are such boring details! I'm out to clean my truck. Hope all is going well with the deadlines.

kat

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art Blakey = Pittsburgher!

As far as Miles Davis and fusion, what would you consider his later stuff (i.e. Bitches Brew and later)? I'm not a huge fan of late Miles, but that seems pretty close to fusion.

Also, as far as good chill out music, you do have "Kind of Blue", don't you?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Kat: I'll look out for Phenix, thanks. You sound like you're too hard on yourself. I found music not to be as easy as I thought it would be going in. I loved it, but was relatively unprepared for what I was getting into with music theory and music history. Takes a different part of your brain than learning advanced biochemistry, so it was hard for me to switch tracks all the time.

Progress is coming along, thanks - I'll post a blog when I can grab some time.

Deej: Yeesh - I'd forgotten about Bitches Brew. I'd catgorize that album as merely unlistenable (but that's just me). You would consider that later stuff fusion? Certainly, I much prefer his earlier, more 'traditional' stuff.

And, yes, I have Kind of Blue. Only just realized that Cannonball plays sax on that, too. Thanks for mentioning Art Blakey - I'll check him out.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players