Wednesday, April 13, 2005

An early (and brief) progress update

We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do. We are always complaining that our days are few, and acting as though there would be no end of them.

- Seneca
*******

You know, I actually like this writing business. I'm not saying that I'm changing my mind and reconsidering academia as a career path - I still don't see myself writing research grants. But the writing process seems more intellectually stimulating to me, compared to my laboratory experience, where consistency and repetition led to me becoming kind of a mindless robot working about the lab.

But, I must admit that building momentum during the thesis writing process has been the biggest step thus far. Once I got into it, though, my rate of progress increased. I graphed it for you:



Obviously I'm far from finished, but at least I got off ground level.

I'd thought it would be fun to install a Mikey-Thesis-Writing-WebCam, but thought better of it after seeing a recent Non Sequitur:



Okay, back to work...

*******

What I'm listening to now: A Rush of Blood to the Head, Coldplay

"God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" is one of those songs I could put on an endless loop.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

Yeah, the hardest part is getting that tank rolling.

And both Coldplay albums are fantastic working music...also try The Shins if you haven't yet.

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that Non Sequitur guy's office bears an uncanny resemblance to mine. Right down to the flatscreen. At least I still have my hair.

Jocelyn

1:22 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Thanks, Dave - I will definitely check out The Shins.

Joce, I think the clincher similarity between your office and the one in the strip is summed up with one word: clutter. :-D

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players