Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Careful What You Wish For

Well, the results of the clerkship lottery have come back. It used to be that MD/PhD students returning to the third year curriculum got preference in choosing their schedules - part of the rationale was that we could get priority in scheduling the 'easier' clerkships (usually psychiatry) first, so we could catch up with the regular medical students, because MD/PhD students have been away from the material so long. Well, the regular medical students didn't like that, so they lobbied the higher-ups and got that priority scheduling taken away from the MD/PhDs. Crybabies.



Oh, well.

I figured I would put in my preferred third year clerkship schedule and get something like pick #165 out of 165. I discussed my scheduling choices earlier. So, even though I scheduled surgery first, I figured I would get it last. Surprisingly, I got exactly what I asked for. SO! Surgery FIRST! Medicine SECOND! Others would try to ease into it or perhaps have a couple easy rotations in between two of the most grueling clerkships during third year. NOT ME, BABY! Because I'm nuts!

Anyway, yeah. Surgery first. A chance for Mikey to show his father his quality. Better start reviewing my Anatomy...last looked at it almost 5 years ago.

Here goes: The headbone is connected to the neckbone. The neckbone is connected to the chestbone. Oh, wait. Or is it the shoulderbone? Uh oh...

7 Comments:

Blogger An Adversary said...

"The discipline of suffering, of great suffering - do you not know that only this discipline has created all enhancements of man so far? That tension of the soul in unhappiness which cultivates its strength, its shudders face to face with great ruin. its inventiveness and courage in enduring, persevering, interpreting and exploiting suffering and whatever has been granted to it of profundity, secret, mask, spirit, cunning, greatness - was it not granted to it through suffering, through the discipline of great suffering?" Nietzsche, "Beyond Good And Evil", section 225

Surgery will be the forge in which you harden like iron, Mike!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

Hmm...Iron Mike. Hasn't that name already been taken?

9:49 AM  
Blogger An Adversary said...

Yeah, but Anodized Surgical Steel Mike just doen't have the same ring.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

Definitely, imagine having to call that out every time he made a daring rescue. "I, Anodized Surgical Steel Mike, am here to save the day from the tyranny of the medical administration!!".

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Yes, that phrase is a bit long. You lose the element of surprise with that. I was thinking of something more like:

"SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!"

Oh, wait. I think that one's taken, too.

11:01 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

a you guys make for a funny read - I stood in on a few c-sections as a red cross volunteer in jr. high and highschool and it wasn't for me really, lol. 'And here we have the uterus!' all squishy noise making the doctor pulled it out above the woman's abdomen to show me and I just remember pushing the surgery room's door open to get out get out get out! lol. Medicine. ah, not for me. (and I switched from E.R. to OB/GYN because I thought it would be lighter on the soul) whatEVER squishy uterus! whatEVER! lol. for real, though, y'all are a hoot! as they say dawn her'('down here' southern-south style).

3:01 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Ah. OB/GYN...I'm really trying to keep an open mind about that clerkship. Partly because the course instructor is legendary around here, partly because I here that going into the OB clerkship with absolute loathing is almost a guarantee that you'll end up loving it and choosing it as your career. So, I'm purging any nightmare stoires I've heard about, say, raging yeast infections and ice cream scoops.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players