Friday, May 06, 2005

Getting what you pay for?

I'm not a Yankee hater. Actually, I look down upon the entire American League just for having the Designated Hitter. Anyway, lately there's been quite a bit of schadenfreude directed at the Yankee organization for various reasons, not the least of which is the size of their payroll. I thought I'd make the following quick comparison.

TeamPayrollWin-Loss RecordPCT
New York Yankees$205,938,43911-180.379
Pittsburgh Pirates$38,138,00011-160.407


That's right. The Yankees have a payroll more than 5 times that of the Pirates, yet if their records were in the same division, the Pirates would be one game ahead.

Just thought I'd mention that before the Yankees start surging later this season. The Pirates, for the rest of the year, will continue to struggle to stay out of last place. Not that I care - I find the business of baseball more interesting than the game now, anyway. That's where all the drama is.

*******

Right now, iTunes is playing: Toxicity, System of a Down

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is also interesting to note that now that the Yankees are doing so poorly, A-Rod is starting to catch fire (homers, 10 RBI in one game). Maybe he can only perform for piece-of-shit teams?

- JZ

1:11 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I hadn't noticed that. I did notice that whenever A-Rod is doing well, his team's pitching seems to be in a slump...Although, in Texas it was because they paid A-Rod so much they couldn't afford a decent pitching staff. Not the same case in New York, though.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

Yeah the Yankees have no excuse for sucking, and I giggle with glee when all of Steinbrenners dollars go down the tubes. You can't buy a championship every year ;-). The Yankees suckitude is a fact I revel in every single day since I am an Orioles fan. Whee!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Up here I'm pretty sick of BOTH the Yankees and the Red Sox. So why not the Orioles? Why not indeed. I have fond memories of the Orioles, actually. They were the last team the Pirates beat to win the Series in '79. Ah, memories.

Now everybody watch Dave slam me into a year-long depression by revealing that he hadn't been born yet in '79.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players