Sunday, July 17, 2005

Thesis Update: Do Not Pass Go

In Which The Drawing Board Hits Mikey Squarely In The Face

My plan to put in a half-assed effort to finish off my thesis failed. Perhaps I overstate my efforts - was it even a half-assed effort? Maybe a quarter-assed effort. How does one quantify effort with "asses" as a measuring unit, anyway? I mean, if we're talking quality, then perhaps we're talking 1/16th of Charlize Theron's-assed-effort. But if volume is the issue, then perhaps I put in a quarter-Oprah Winfrey-assed effort into the discussion section. I think I can put a positive spin on it by saying that I put in a full-Kate Moss-assed effort into the final section, however this may imply that I don't have much volume, and I was flying high as a kite to boot.

No matter the measure, the effort does not pass muster under Barb's gaze. Her remarks were remarkably dissimilar to her reviews of my other sections - most, if not all, corrections were largely for grammatical errors. This time, the grammatical corrections were at a minimum - not a good sign. No, this time Barb's notes were paragraphs punching holes in my logic. And at least eight - EIGHT!!! - notes stating that a discussion on such-and-such needs to be included. Not a couple of rinky-dink sentences, but full-blown multiple paragraphs that will force me to spend hours on PubMed looking for references and more hours staring at my computer screen coming up with some prose that will make it sound like I know what I'm talking about. At least I don't have to convince anyone that I care about the science, anymore. Anyway, so much for a laid-back, relaxing weekend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, your ** effort needs some fleshing-out. Don't be discouraged. Step back, take a deep breath, and go to it. At least you're not starting over from scratch -- you just need to add some reinforcements.

J.

3:16 PM  
Blogger An Adversary said...

I agree with J. (Jocelyn?) here. You just need to flesh out that ass with the scientific literary equivalent of cornbread. Get a stick of butter and grease that thesis (in a cornbread, not Last Tango in Paris kind of way).

Go Mike! Go Mike! Go Mike!

*\o/* *\o/* *\o/* *\o/* <---- cheerleaders

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hang in there...you're in the home stretch!

h.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players