Thursday, August 10, 2006

Romper Rheum

So...for the last several weeks during the time that I haven't been writing anything on this blog, I've been hanging out with the Rheumatology service. And you know what's really funny about Rheumatology?

Nothing. Nothing that I've seen in the last three-and-a-half weeks. I mean, it's interesting from a medical standpoint, but not much from an entertainment standpoint.

To wit:
I don't think I really appreciated what Rheumatology was before I started this rotation. "Rheumatology" is one of those words that I would hear when I was younger and thought of little old ladies having their "rheumatological" episodes and drinking humors or tonics to treat their puzzling aches and pains. I suppose it's not so simple any more - it's not just little old ladies, and those humors and tonics are now some pretty potent drugs - potentially scary stuff. I find it interesting enough to consider it as a specialty - there's a little of everything in Rheumatology - the need for strong history and physical exam skills, outpatient/inpatient/critical care medicine, and *cough* research *gag* - potentially an ideal field for someone who suspects he has some form of attention deficit disorder. Whenever I get bored of crazy patients in the clinic, I can excuse myself from the room and head down to intensive care and see how the patients with pulmonary hemorrhage are doing.
See? Interesting to me and me only...not so great for the blogging public. Sorry. I warned you.

So, now that the blog-material poor Rheumatology rotation is coming to an end, perhaps we'll see an upswing in Mikey's Blog activity, because...

My next rotation is Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect. All I know is: Monday morning I have OB orientation, and they scheduled me to be on call on the Maternity & Delivery service that evening.

So, potentially...

See! As Mikey's jaw hits the amniotic fluid-soaked floor when he catches his first baby!
Read! About Mikey's mad skillz with the vaginal speculum!
Hear! Mikey's new catchphrase: "Oh my...Why, God, WHY?!?!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Tallyflute said...

I'm smiling quietly to myself as I remember some of the hand/face gestures made at the brew pub a few weeks ago while discussing your upcoming ob/gyn rotation. LOL

Good luck! ;)

5:20 PM  
Blogger thekatster said...

faaAAAaantastic!

when I was in jr high? I was a certified redcross volunteer and I worked e.r. until the people dying and stuff got to me, then I moved to ob/gyn...it was great until I went in to observe my first c-section and the surgeon turned, with lifted uterus in hand, said 'and this?! is the uterus!'

at which point as a 15 year old I quietly removed myself from the room and slowed my volunteer efforts, lol.

uterus handling is in your near future! very bright, bright indeed lol

kat

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players