Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mikey Gets Some Pointers

I've never done it before. Sensing my hesitation, the chief resident, Joe, gave me some tips on my first time:

Joe: Hey - it's okay, you know. We all go through this.
Mikey: I'm just so afraid of messing up.
Joe: It's so simple. You can't possibly mess it up. Just get in, do your business, then get out.
Mikey: I'm afraid it might hurt.
Joe (taking a look at Mikey's equipment): It's pretty small. The pain should be minimal.
Mikey (skeptically): Well, that kinda makes me feel a little better.
Joe: Don't worry. I'll be with you to watch and make sure everything goes right. Unless...having me observing makes you feel uncomfortable....
Mikey: Uh, no...no. That should be, um, fine.
Joe: Just remember. Don't go in too deep. Don't go too fast. And just remember to not move it around too much. It could get uncomfortable.
Mikey: Got it. How long is this going to take?
Joe: If you do it right, you should be in and out in like 2 minutes.
Mikey: Okay, I think I can handle that.

So I went into the room, shook the man's hand, pulled out my needle, and drained the inflamed bursa on his elbow, which he aggravated by shoveling snow on his driveway. Joe was right. It was pretty easy. Except for the part where I moved around a little and poked the bone. It's pretty amazing - seeing the human body launch from a sitting position, trying to get the head to butt the ceiling.



*******

What I'm listening to right now: Live in Tokyo, Brad Mehldau

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players