Friday, December 30, 2005

My Room in Middletown

I have a nice cozy room across from the hospital in Middletown, Connecticut. I had no idea what to expect, whether the room would be a cold space with a cracked linoleum floor and walls covered with layers upon layers of that white dorm room paint, slathered on every time tenants change. Was it a room in a suite? Or a college dorm situation where I share a bathroom with the floor? When I arrived in Middletown, a hospital security guard walked me over to the house - the first floor of which is some hospital employee credit union. The second floor has three rooms plus a bathroom. When we finally found a way to turn on the lights, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my room was indeed cozy.



In addition, the decorations gave it that nice 'homey' feel. In the next picture, notice the nice scallop shell and vase of now-scentless potpourri on top of the desk that's way too small for one to accomplish any serious studying, which is next to the college dorm-sized refrigerator. Not only did the previous tenant leave me a pile of Splenda sweetener packets for my use, but also left behind a full bottle of Heinz ketchup (I'll use no other ketchup as a condiment, thank you) and a half-full gallon of water. Now that's fancy living. I have to admit that the gallon of water left me a bit puzzled on the first night, but after a day-and-a-half of no access to water that did not come out of a bathroom faucet, I appreciate the idea from the last tenant.



What you don't see in these pictures are a nice comfy chair (my preferred mode of Monty Pythonesque torture) and the television with free cable. Alas, no internet access from here, and no wireless hotspots that my laptop can detect. The television was quite the distraction the first several evenings, so I think I'll be doing my reading in the hospital library. What the TV is GREAT for is this: Most days I don't have to be anywhere until 9am. So I can get a light breakfast and sit in my room watching reruns of 'The Lost World' and 'Angel.' Nope - doesn't get better than that.

Of course, there was one warning posted in the room:



...and I think to myself: "Bwahahahahahaha!" but then remember that the cost of such mischievous acts would be a freezing room and really cold showers.

*******

What I'm listening to now: Café del Mar (Volume Six)

8 Comments:

Blogger Tallyflute said...

Hey, that looks quite nice! Best of luck and health in this current assignment and for the new year. I look forward to reading more about your adventures!

(living vicariously, don'tcha know)

emjmheyw (that's a good one)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Thanks, DW.

I'm enjoying the rotation - so far so good!

wyevu

12:54 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

hey! it's hot here in AZ for a January!

only one random thought a day.
that's your one.
deal.

smooches,
kat

p.s. www.myspace.com/yakiddinme

AND
pics at:

www.yakiddinme.shutterfly.com
password: udjpuk

just in case you need a temporary brain ooze

yriskmyi
(why risk my eye?)

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kat's terribly kind.

I was thinking your adventures need to include you doing more than sitting around staring at the walls. But as long as you can see nothing scurrying across them, no worries.

rfvcek - sounds like cursing in Czech!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I was thinking your adventures need to include you doing more than sitting around staring at the walls.

Yes. Yes, they do. But, so far....

twzvtiz

6:13 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Kat:

Yakiddinme????

Yet another new blog site for you????

:)

ticdua

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: twzvtiz

Too late you find out it's really middleofnowheretown? Well, you should've known (hint: it's in Conneticut).

I need a prescription for Viatqfyn.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

I need a prescription for Viatqfyn.

I can do that.

Here's a scrip for ysasuyhr, too. Should take the edge off.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players