Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Medicine Clerkship: First Impressions

Day 3: Still feeling overwhelmed.

I'm spending the first four weeks of the clerkship doing "inpatient" at a Veterans Administration (VA) hospital in the suburbs. A brief description of the way this hospital works:
  • There are four 'general medical wards' teams (Teams A, B, C, or D) and two 'CV med' teams (Cards 1 and Cards 2). I'm on Team A.
  • Each ward team is comprised of an attending, a resident, two interns, and one or two medical students.
  • Call is taken as a team q4 ('q4' means every 4 days).
  • 'Short Call' means that the team admits new patients until 12:00 pm. It caps at four patients or up to 6 night float admissions on a busy night.
  • 'Long Call' means that the team admits from noon until 10:00 pm. Long Call caps at 10 patients. The Long Call team must remain in house until 10:00 pm, except on Fridays, during which the team admits overnight until 8:00 am Saturday morning.
  • The pour souls on the CV med teams are on call q2 (every other day). Ouch.
An intern is someone who just graduated medical school, Post-Grad Year 1 (PGY-1). After that year, in internal medicine, they're referred to as residents: junior resident (PGY-2) or senior resident (PGY-3). Once the residency is completed, the physician can then be referred to as the attending physician. I think. These things aren't very clear to me.

Anyway, I meet with my team for Morning Rounds. Basically, the intern (or medical student) presents in about 2 minutes or less any updates regarding each patient and it sounds something like:
"Mr. Smith is a 76-year old was admitted to the emergency room at 11pm last night complaining of shortness of breath. He was first diagnosed with COPD 10 years ago. His history also includes Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and seizures. The symptoms of dyspnea improve when the patient sits up and breathes through pursed lips. The patient is compliant with his medications, but not compliant with his C-PAP device. His hematocrit this morning is 58.1, his blood pressure is 98/57, his pulse is 85, respiratory rate 20, and O2 sat is 92%."
The team then agrees on a plan.

What's striking to me is how young the team is. The resident leading the team is only starting her third year after graduating medical school. The people doing most of the scutwork are the interns (with some help from the medical students, who - between you and me - are still pretty freaking clueless at this point). Remember, like 6 months ago, the interns were still in medical school. Does this scare you? It really shouldn't - every case is overseen by the attending physician, who has tons more experience.

*******

I spent five years in graduate school, so much of the material I learned in Biology of Disease is a distant memory. It's starting to show. I was asked several questions today by the attending physician, and I think I fell short of satisfactory. Some questions regarding the incidence, presentation, and prognosis of cancer of the esophagus.
Incidence is about 1 per 20,000 people. Usually, when esophageal cancer presents in the clinic, it's in its later stages, so the prognosis is relatively poor: 5-year survival rate is between 5 and 14%. With metastasis, it's around 2%.

Another question probing whether I understood the mechanism behind the hyponatremia of one of the team's diabetic patients. I couldn't remember.
Our patient's blood glucose levels were beyond the range of the instrumentation, above 600 mg/dl. To put it simply, if you remember your high school chemistry, the increased sugar concentration in the serum results in hyperosmolarity, causing water to be drawn out from within cells. This dehydrates cells and also dilutes serum sodium.

I think the attending gave up asking me questions at this point. Boy...I've got some serious catching-up to do in the next few weeks.

6 Comments:

Blogger thekatster said...

the world is so lucky that you're doing the thinking and not me lol - even if you do have to review some thigns. leaving atlanta tomorrow morning, moving back here on Monday - I should be back in full swing some time next week.

great being able to chit chat again!

great morning music?
Sissy Strut by the Meters - and LOUD!
hayeeeeeYA!

kat

8:08 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

I found a link that played a three minute version of the sissy strut without you having to buy it -

it also plays a ton of other funky morning music - make yo ass so happy to be alive you won't be able to sit down!


http://www.funkymeters.com/

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

You don't know me but a little while back I came across your comments about Matthew Fenton. You are right in that he moved to Baltimore and worked at Univ of MD, Baltimore in there "Mucosal Biology Research Center" (but not as director). He had obtained 2 postdocs, 1 technician, 1 lab manager, and me, the grad student. I worked for him for about 9 months till last April, he sat me down to tell me he was leaving to go to the NIH and that he would be leaving in early June. Sounds a bit like what he did to you. Didn't tell you he was interviewing, gave you no notice, and pretty much just upped and left. Apparently, he had had this planned for awhile but didn't want to tell anyone until he had paper in hand telling him he got the job. I think he was afraid we would all be really pissed (and we would have). We all were really bitter for awhile but he did make attempts to set us with other people. I work for a women who does the same work he did so I got to keep my project (thank god).

I don't think I have quite the same hate for him that you do but I did notice a lot of the same things in your post back in 2004. About him being cheap, how my thesis never seemed to have much focus, him volunteering us to do work for others. It is interesting to hear someone else's take on it.

Anyways, just thought you might find this info interesting. Ever since finding your site, I check it every so often and find it a quite amusing way to procrastinate. I wish you luck in all you Dr endeavors! :)

11:06 AM  
Blogger An Adversary said...

Hey Mikey, conclusive proof that MF (appropriate initials, incidentally) is officially a serial dickhead. Makes me wonder how many people my graduate advisor cocked up after I moved on.

11:21 AM  
Blogger thekatster said...

lolololol - thank that was great - funny people I'm tellin' ya

5:07 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

You don't know me but...

Hi! Thanks for the comment. I'd actually dropped by your department's website to see how Matt's lab people fared once he decided to leave again. I'd like you to know that, once we found out that Matt was leaving us, the lab went out on a 'Goodbye, Matt' lunch, and we toasted to his future lab members. (Did you ever wonder why not a single lab member followed him to Baltimore?) I really wish our labs could trade stories. (And if you do feel like trading stories, feel free to drop me a line: ironchefmike (at) gmail(dot)com. Don't worry about making it onto the front page of my blog - I'm done commenting about Matt on here).

Anyway, the truth was that he was really unhappy up here, and I believe that adversely affected the way he managed the lab. According to Matt, he landed in a much better situation at UMD, and I would have hoped that that would have led to better people/lab/science management on his part.

I'm sorry that a similar situation happened to you, but I'm also glad to hear that you've landed on your feet. I hope he at least gave you a 'Master of Plasmid DNA Request Fulfillment' Certificate or its equivalent :)

And I'm flattered that you come by to read once in a while. Always happy to divert a fellow graduate student from more productive avenues.

I wish you all the best in completing your degree.

Take care!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players