Friday, February 03, 2006

Tale of the Hood

An update to my car accident story: My faith in humanity is justified. The driver of the other vehicle didn't bother to give the insurance company my information, essentially admitting fault for the accident. My mechanic is surprised. However, there is a hitch (of course). Apparently the latch of my engine hood was damaged when my car's front bumper was hit from the left side. This damage wasn't apparent during the appraisal, and did not make it into the report. While I was driving up to the mechanic, the hood popped open and slammed against my windshield. My car's hood is now somehow inverted the wrong way. Miraculously, my windshield didn't sustain any damage. Perhaps even more miraculously, I didn't get into another car accident despite driving down the road with my vision obscured by my car hood.

Now I'm trying to convince the insurance company that the damaged engine hood should be covered by the same claim. They're open to the idea, but it's going to take some convincing on my part. We'll see....

*******

I'm done with Family Medicine! Three more clerkships until being officially done with third year. You know, this whole idea that 'the third year of medical school is wicked hard' is bunk. I'm having a pretty good time; the only 'hard' part of third year is trying to find enough time to read.

Anyway, I've completed Psychiatry, Internal Medicine (from herein referred to as 'Medicine'), and Family Medicine (referred to as 'Family'). If I had to choose from these three, well, Psychiatry would be last - I enjoyed it, but...it's not a career choice for me. Choosing between Medicine and Family is a bit of a struggle, though. Medicine is almost a default choice - the problem is, it seems like a stepping stone to specializing in something else. Not that one couldn't just do Medicine and become a general practitioner, but if you know you want to be come a generalist, Family would probably be a more logical way to go.

I'm pretty sure I want to be a generalist. I really enjoyed Family - there was no limit to the problems or the population I would see. One day I could be looking at twenty cases of Strep throat, the next day I could be delivering babies. If I chose medicine, I would say goodbye to dealing with the pediatric population, which I would miss (except for the two-year olds). But I feel the pull of Medicine and the allure of training at a large academic center. And I have to wonder WHY? I mean, if you've been reading this blog long enough, you know how I feel about these large academic behemoths and all it takes to keep them running. Perhaps it's out of familiarity - that I've been in the system for so long, I'm a bit scared about getting off the beaten path. Maybe the institutional bias against primary care has been subtly implanted in my head. It's going to be a tough choice.

So - current rankings:
  1. Internal Medicine/Family Medicine1
  2. Psychiatry2
*******

1 I know, it's a copout, but HEY - it's MY blog
2 Well, technically it shouldn't even make the list, but I'm a believer that all lists/outlines should have at least two points

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players