Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Law of Averages Hits Hard

I had another good week in Middletown. I made myself useful in both the hospital and the outpatient clinic. My presentations and progress notes were really good. Good feedback from the faculty. I learned a lot. I drove back to Boston Friday night. And...?



I'm less than 2 minutes from home when I'm in the middle of an intersection and another driver runs a red light. Time slows down. I brake, she brakes. I think we're going to make it out of this without incident. BAM! Oh, well. At least no one got hurt. We exchange info. Both cars drive away. I regret not calling the police to file a report.

I take my car to the mechanic and call the insurance company. The mechanics listen in on my conversation, look at each other, and one gestures. No police record, no witnesses. If the other driver decides to be less than honest, they say, then I'm in a little trouble. Such cynics.

I, on the other hand, choose to believe in my fellow human being and think all of this will go down smoothly. Already there's a silver lining. My rental car is demonstrating to me what life will be like when I'm rid of the aging heap seen above. Ahhhh...so this is what it's like to have power under the hood. Having more than 2.5 miles-per-gallon in the city feels REALLY niccccccce.

5 Comments:

Blogger An Adversary said...

We're just glad you're okay. I'm sure as an M.D. I don't need to tell you, but in my prior life as a scummy ambulance chaser, I've seen allegedly significant injuries arise from accidents less severe. (BTW, have you called the local PD to see if you can file a late report? It may be worth the time, indeed.)
________________________

I did not manufacture this captcha at all. I swear on my eyes that this is the one they gave me in order to make the above comment. Incidentally, as a Bostonian (Cantabridgian more accurately) I guess I ought to be offended, but since I don't like baseball, and living in the heart of Red Sox nation is often tiresome, well...

fksox

9:23 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Thanks for the advice. It turns out that I have one week after the time of the accident to file a report. Of course, I'll be out of town the next week meaning that I have to get all the paperwork done today. So I've spent three hours looking for the proper form, filling out, making copies, etc. Aside from seeing you and Squinty the other day, it's been a costly weekend.

lmhlnnad

1:44 PM  
Blogger An Adversary said...

That's why you pay for insurance - so this this doesn't have to be such a costly weekend. BTW, good on ya for getting the paperwork done. You'll appreciate having done it when the driver who ran the red sues you for her personal injuries. ;)

Also, we're glad that seeing us was only as costly for you as being schooled on the PS2! Beeyotch!


ztwjw

6:01 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Well, my past experiences in other fender benders has been that most people are honest. By the way, how would that hold up in a court of law - "Your Honor, of course it's the other party's fault - he/she/it is, in fact, a Bostonian."?

Anyway, I'm counting on the fact that the other driver in this case is a heavy believer in the whole karma thing.

ioabhytq

6:14 PM  
Blogger An Adversary said...

Awww. Mikey. You are so cute with the trusting and the benefit of the doubt. My experience dealing with literally over a hundred of these things is that most people lie to keep their premiums down and exaggerate the fault of the other driver. And at least half of them continue to seek "medical" (i.e., chiropractic) treatment well after their doctors state that they've reached a medical end result.

But your tortfeasor might be different. My clients weren't coming from Brookline.

And as far as karma is concerned, you recall that among all the Asians I know, not a single one of them is a Buddhist. You'd be better off hoping that she believes that lies make baby Jesus cry.


jpdghquo <--- that is too many letters!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


MP3 Players